Thursday, November 18, 2010

"How-To" Speech

I thought that it would be a good idea to discuss how to tie a tie. After looking at the video footage, I can say that I saw lots of great things and some things that still need to be worked on. First, I was glad that I brought in a tie so that the audience could be engaged and they could attempt to follow the instructions and digrams on the screen. However, doing this made my presentation seem very reliant on the slides and I needed to keep turning to see my own slides.

Although I practiced trying to do the various knots myself, when I got up to present, I started fumbling around could not repeat the steps myself when it came to the more difficult knots. Next time, I will try to be the total expert before giving a presentation on how to do something...

Despite this minor problem though, I thought that I engaged the audience well and had the right amount of confidence to have them listen to me, without sounding obnoxious. I refrained from too many "UMs" and really made great eye contact with everyone. Hopefully, I will be able to continue being so comfortable with the audience and be able to engage them so they will leave with a clear message in their mind. Perhaps, I should make my slides more of an enhancement to my presentations rather than have them be central to my speech. That way, I can use them from time to time instead of looking up at the images and digrams the entire time I am presenting. This would definitely help with the hair-flipping and if I just focused on talking, I will also probably stop using sentence fillers like "um"!

1 comment:

  1. This was definitely a cool topic. I think you just needed to slow down and let people take more time. Hair flipping was an issue, but it's something you can easily deal with in the future.

    ReplyDelete