Thursday, November 18, 2010

Discussion: Meatless Monday

I had a great time leading my discussion on Meatless Mondays here on our campus and vegetarianism in general. I know that some thought that the topic was a bit difficult to discuss, but I thought that the entire class had something to say about the topic because of personal choices and because it is an issue that applies to those who have a meal plan at Hopkins.

I thought that I did a nice job in facilitating the discussion by asking questions to direct the conversation to a certain path. Having people argue back and forth was great to see, but in the end, I made sure that we all came to a consensus. But, I think I made sure that I was not too overbearing and controlling of the discussion either. I was very fortunate to have an audience that was engaged and ready to take different stances on the issue. I thought it was much more interesting when there were numerous viewpoints and we had to settle through each one piece by piece. After all, a discussion is a great time to share stories and get people involved and invested in the topic. This definitely makes the message sticky and isn't that the reason why people present ideas?

In this discussion, I really wanted to show that even though we were talking about a really specific topic like vegetarianism, it is a fantastic example of the fact that it really is about how you present something to an audience. If vegetarianism and Meatless Mondays were presented in a better fashion around campus,then I'm sure those programs would have a greater influence and see more results. This also applies to creating presentations as well. The way we word our ideas and the manner we pitch our proposals means a lot. I thought that everyone in the discussion definitely got this sticky message.

No comments:

Post a Comment